Last updated on September 8th, 2022 at 12:12 pm.
If you’re looking for a fun fall activity, look no further than apple picking in Missouri! There are plenty of orchards in the state that offer this seasonal favorite. In this blog post, we will provide everything you need to know about apple picking in MO, including tips on where to go and what to bring. So get ready to enjoy a day out with your family or friends at one of the many beautiful apple orchards in Missouri!
The 11 Best Apple Orchards In Missouri | Apple Picking In Missouri Top 11 Places To Pick Apples In Missouri
If you are looking for the best place to pick apples in Missouri this fall, we have the list for you! There are great options for apple orchards near St. Louis, Kansas City and Columbia. There are also great apple farms in Springfield, Weston and St. Charles.
Missouri is home to many different types of apple orchards, so you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you. Some of the most popular apple picking destinations in Missouri are below. We’ve also included an extensive orchard and u-pick list at the bottom of the article.
Apple picking Near columbia, mo
1. Huffstutter Orchards
Huffstutter Orchards is a small independent orchard that is located 25 miles from Columbia in New Franklin, Missouri. It was originally started in St. Joseph, Missouri where Wilbur Weisenborn opened an orchard and dairy. He worked the orchard with his daughter and son-in-law Betty and Ralph Huffstutter.
In 1958, Mr. Weisenborn was forced to sell the family farm so the Huffstutters bought an orchard in New Franklin, Missouri now known as Huffstutter Orchards. Not only is it a fun outing for the whole family to stock up on apples, their website includes amazing recipes for your harvest.
The 2022 apple picking season starts September 1st. They are open Thursday- Sunday until all apples are picked.
Cost: $8 a peck. Cash & Check only.
Huffstutter Orchards is about 30 minutes from Columbia via State Rte P and MO-240 E.
Address: 2621 State Rte P, New Franklin, MO 65274
2. West Orchards
West Orchards is the largest orchard in the Macon area. In addition to the fresh, ripe apples, they make cider and baked goodies during harvest season, as well as honey from the hives in their apiary. They are a family-run business that began in the Spring of 1995. The orchard sits on about 10 acres of prairie ground on a 170-acre farm in North Central Missouri. Every member of their family has helped in planting and maintaining the orchard.
West Orchards is located about 1 hour from Columbia via US Hwy 63 S
Address: 25875 Jewell Ave, Macon, MO 63552
Apple picking Near Kansas City
3. Alldredge Orchards
Alldredge Orchards is located in Platte City, Missouri. This is one of the oldest Missouri apple orchards. The farm was started in 1960 in St. Joseph by Ernest Alldredge. When Ernest passed away, the orchards were sold, but the family purchased the new farm in Platte City in 1985 that officially opened for business in 1991.
They are a family-owned orchard and entertainment farm near Kansas City, Missouri. Alldredge Orchards also grows peaches and other produce in the summer that is mostly sold at a local Farmers Market. In the fall they are open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays.
U-Pick apples is offered Saturdays and Sundays in September and October.
Alldredge Orchards is about 30 minutes from Kansas City via I-29 S.
Address: 10455 State Hwy N, Platte City, MO 64079
4. Historic Weston Orchard and Vineyard
With 7,000 trees on 15 acres, the Historic Weston Orchard and Vineyard feature 12 varieties of apples. Their dwarf trees make picking easy for all ages. In addition, they have hay rides, a pumpkin patch, zip-lining, and a bakery. There is plenty of entertainment and quality outdoor family fun at this apple orchard Weston. The apple-picking season runs August-November.
(from cider article) Take an exclusive trip to the apple orchards at the Historic Weston Orchard & Vineyard. This has all the makings of an unforgettable lifetime experience as they provide several tour experiences to elevate your visit. In addition, they give tours of vineyards where you can see how apples are crushed and distilled to turn into your favorite wine.
You can even get a glimpse behind the scenes of winemaking. In addition, taste baked goods made from fresh apples and take them home as a souvenir to enjoy even after your trip is over.
Moreover, you also get to pick pumpkins from the pumpkin patches and take them home to carve as you wish.
Apple Picking: August to Early November
Weston Orchard is located 34 miles from Kansas City via Hwy 29.
Address: 18545 Co Rd H, Weston, MO 64098
5. Schweizer Orchards
Schweizer Orchards is an 86-acre farm overlooking the Missouri River and nestled in the bluffs. It has produced and packed high-quality River Bend Apples for over four generations.
As a family-owned business, Schweizer Orchards continues this tradition with their retail market in St. Joseph, Missouri. The market has a wide variety of products like jams, jellies, salsas, relishes, kitchen accessories, fresh fruit, and produce.
In addition to the market, they have a playground, picnic area, corn maze, apple cannon, wagon rides, and pick-your-own apples, pumpkins, peaches, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
U-pick Apples: Middle of August until First Fall Freeze.
Hours are Monday-Saturday 9am-5:30pm and Sunday 1pm-5pm.
Schweizer Orchards is about 1 hour from Kansas City via I-29 S.
Address: 5455 SE State Rte FF, St Joseph, MO 64507
6. Peters Orchards and Market
Peters Orchards is located along the scenic bluffs of the Missouri River and have been growing apples for over 110 years. They started in 1908 as a small dry goods store and orchard, and have grown into a thriving 500-acre orchard, packinghouse, and market.
Their founder Hermann Peters started the tradition so long ago and they continue to give consumers safe, quality apples and peaches they can enjoy. Their current offerings include peaches, apples, fresh ciders, canned goods, baked goods, pecans, and walnuts. If you can’t get out to their market, you can purchase from their online shop and have their products delivered right to your door.
They are open Monday – Saturday 9 am – 5 pm and Sunday 12 pm – 5 pm.
Peter’s Orchard is about 1 hour and 10 minutes from Kansas City via I-70 W.
Address: 32615 U.S. 65, Waverly, MO 64096
Apple picking Near St. Louis
Apple picking near St. Louis options are plentiful! Here are our top choices!
7. Centennial Farms
Centennial Farms is located in Augusta, Missouri and has been owned by the same family since 1854. Bob and Ellen Knoernschild who are the current owners are the fourth generation. The family’s sixth generation — the owners’ grandson, Gabe — currently manages the farm.
Centennial Farms grows 16 varieties of apples that ripen from the middle of August until early October.
Their first orchards were planted in 1969 on what had been a grain and livestock farm. They offer a “taste of history” along with seasonal fruit and good things made in the farm kitchen. You can also visit their market in the 160-year old timber framed barn which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
U-Pick apples is offered Saturday 9-5 and Sunday 9-5 during the apple season.
Centennial Farms is about 50 minutes from St. Louis via MO-94 E and I-64 E
Address: 199 Jackson Street, Augusta, Missouri 63332
8. Thierbach’s Market And Apple Orchard
Thierbach Market and Apple Orchard is located near the beautiful Katy Trail in Marthasville. You can pick your own berries, peaches, and, of course, apples. The market also sells jams, jellies, salsas, and pickles, along with an assortment of kitchen equipment. In addition, they have several mazes and bounce attractions to make sure the kids have a good time, too.
Their apple varieties include; Prima, Gala Honeycrisp, Missouri Red, Jonathan, Lura Red, Ellstar, Empire, Ultra Red Delicious, Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Blushing Gold, Mutsu, Rome Beauty, Keystone Gold and Granny Smith.
Thierbach Orchards is about 1 hour from St. Louis via Hwy D and I-64 E.
Apple Picking Season: mid-August thru October from 9 am-6 pm and apples are $1.69/lb.
Address: 18427 State Highway 47, Marthasville, MO 63357
9. Knowlan Family Farm
Knowlan Family Farm has been open since 2016, providing homegrown and raised fruits, vegetables, and beef. They have twenty-nine varieties of u-pick fruits and vegetables, including apples, peaches, nectarines, blueberries, blackberries, pumpkins, and more. In addition, you can buy their pasture-raised beef. They also have a beautiful event venue called Knollcrest which has a wedding chapel sitting on 100 acres of pasture, 65 wooded acres, and a glittering 12-acre lake.
Knowlan Family Farm is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from St. Louis via I-55 N.
Address: 3243 MO-34, Burfordville, MO 63739
U-Pick Apples Near Springfield & the Ozarks
10. Gardener’s Orchard & Bakery
Gardener’s Orchard and Bakery is located in Brighton, Missouri. The Gradinariu family moved to California from Romania in 1990 then relocated to Missouri in 2004 to pursue their dream of having a farm. Originally, they ran it as a turkey farm but in 2015 took over an orchard. Focusing exclusively on it, the orchard now has tours, hayrides, and more than a dozen apple varieties you can pick yourself. This is the best place to pick apples in Brighton.
Gardener’s Orchard is located 25 minutes from Springfield via MO-13 S
Address: 4455 W Farm Rd 2, Brighton, MO 65617
11. Sunshine Valley Farm
Jan and Mike Wooten opened Sunshine Valley Farm in 1989. Jan, an avid gardener, had been growing various produce at her home garden in Springfield. They converted a pasture into a orchard and berry farm now known as Sunshine Valley Farm.
As of July 23, 2022 they have their first apples of the seaon; Williams Pride and Pristine.
Apple picking season runs July through November.
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., Wednesday 3 p.m. – 5:30 pm.
Sunshine Valley Farm is located 30 minutes from Springfield via US-60 W and US-65 N.
Address: 8125 East AD Highway, Rogersville, MO
Note: apple varieties do not all ripen at the same time. Ripening times are also subject to weather conditions throughout the growing season and may be early or late. Always call, visit the orchard website or Facebook page for the most updated apple picking in Missouri details!
Related Post: Where to find the Best Cider Mills and Apple Cider in Missouri
More of the best place to pick apples and other fruit in Missouri
If you are looking for an apple orchard a bit closer to where you live, scroll through this list below or simply type into Google “apple orchards near me”.
- Arrowhead Orchard and Bakery; 710 Holder Road, Clever, MO
- Bader Farms; Hwy WW, Campbell, MO
- Baxter’s Orchard; 25822 S Kauffman Rd, Garden City, MO
- Bear Creek Farms; 932 Keithley Rd., Walnut Shade, MO
- Beckner Orchards; RR 1, Wellington, MO
- Binders Hilltop Apple and Berry Farm; 24688 Audrain Rd. 820, Mexico, MO
- Black Horse Orchard and Farm; Highway E and FF, Jonesburg, MO
- Blue Heron Orchard; 32974 220th St., Canton, MO
- Brozovich Orchard; RR 1 Box 113, Clifton Hill, MO
- C and L Orchards; 15050 Apple Blossom Lane, Dexter, MO
- Cates Orchard; 13423 State Hwy WW, Dudley, MO
- Cider Keg Orchards; 1633 NW 50 Hwy, Holden, MO
- Diebold Orchards; I-55 at Hwy 77, Benton, MO
- Dobsons Happy Apple Orchard; 4013 North Johnson Rd, Sibley, MO
- Gordon’s Orchard; Hwy 13, Vista, MO
- Head Orchards; 16006 Highway 14, Marionville, MO
- Huffstutter Orchards; 2621 State Rout P, New Franklin, MO
- Hunt Orchard; 14621 State Hwy K, Amazonia, MO
- Jackson Country Orchard; 10299 County Rd 5140, Rolla, MO
- James O’Neal Orchard; Hwy WW, Campbell, MO
- Jeanies Orchard and Berry Patch; RR 1 Box 1, Bosworth, MO
- Kerr Orchard; Hwy 24, Lexington, MO
- Kithcart’s Orchard; 1413 County Line Rd., Rich Hill, MO
- Lehman Family Orchard, LLC; 1206 Highway A, Spickard, MO
- Lindemann Orchard; S. Hwy 60, Marionville, MO
- Millards Apple Creek Farm and Orchard; 621 Murphy Ford Road, Centertown, MO
- Mother Earth Market LLC; 28133 Hwy 24, Waverly, MO
- Murphy Orchards; 255 S Hwy 60, Marionville, MO
- Ozark Mountain Orchards; 4564 S Campbell, Springfield, MO
- Pate Orchard and Produce; 510 North 4th Street, Stockton, MO
- Peters Orchards & Market; 32615 Hwy 65, Waverly, MO
- Purple Gate Farm; 416 Poplar Drive, Highlandville, MO
- Rasa Orchard; 19510 Garr Rd, Lexington, MO
- Red Bird Hill Apple Orchard; 1670 Welsh Lane, Fulton, MO
- Ridge Orchard; Hwy 3, Bourbon, MO
- Schreiman Orchards; 29032 Highway 24, Waverly, MO
- Sibley Orchards; 4121 California Ave, Sibley, MO
- Steffens Orchard; 269 Pine Hill Lane, Frohna, MO
- Stephenson’s Orchard; 16501 E 40th St S, Independence, MO
- Table Rock Orchard; 83 State Hwy HH, Reeds Spring, MO
- Templeton Orchard; Hwy 24 & F Rd, Dover, MO
- Vaughn Orchard; 23200 State Route 273, Weston, MO
- Weston Red Barn Farm; 16300 Wilkerson Road, Weston, MO
- Wiles Orchard; Hwy 60 & 265, Marionville, MO
5 Tips for Your Apple-Picking Adventure
- Dress in Layers & bring a light rain jacket.
- Wear boots. Even if it’s not a rainy day, the fields could still be muddy. Here is my favorite boot for fall. If you have kids, these apple rain boots are perfect!
- Bring a garbage bag (for muddy boots) and an extra pair of shoes for the drive home.
- Bring a picnic blanket and picnic lunch to enjoy on the farm.
- Don’t forget sunscreen and hand wipes!